There are more than one million Twitter posts per hour, and five billion minutes spent on Facebook every single day. Social media is a massive driver of much of modern marketing efforts. A great way to understand how to use social media to enhance and drive company marketing is to get an MBA in Social Media Marketing.
An online MBA in social media puts a focus on social media classes that have a real focus on real business issues and processes. A typical MBA in social media program will include highly important information such as:
- How to develop and execute social media marketing that integrate closely with a company’s other marketing efforts.
- Carry out detailed market research to come up with more effective marketing campaigns. Also learn how to improve and optimize products, and to generate valuable sales leads.
- Target messaging to audiences who largely on mobile devices, and who take buying advice from their friends and listen to what they have to say on product recommendations.
What Is a Social Media Marketing MBA?
A social media marketing MBA is a two year graduate degree that is made for the experienced marketing business professional who wants to learn how to use social media to drive the marketing and sales of all kinds of companies.
This online MBA program will demonstrate how you can use popular social media tools, such as Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin to develop better, long term relationships with customers that will lead to more repeat business. This type of MBA is typically anchored by a strong foundation of business theory, and offers you the chance to gain in demand technical and analytical tools that are sought by national and international companies.
An MBA program in social media marketing will teach you to do most or all of the following:
- Learn how to explore social media marketing from a strategic point of view
- Increase your skills and knowledge in social media marketing so that you have a higher level of expertise overall in effective marketing for your company
- Study new, breakthrough digital marketing channels
- Learn how to engage with potential customers more directly, and learn how to read and measure audience response
- Get a better understanding of how to leverage marketing automation technologies
To enter an MBA in social media marketing program, you should have good grades from your bachelor’s program, at least two years of work experience, and a very strong application. Most online MBA programs are quite competitive as the economy is gathering steam. Usually, your level and quality of related work experience can be the key factor on whether you get into the MBA program you want.
You should expect to need to meet the following requirements for admission:
- GMAT or GRE scores may be waived depending upon your grades and level of experience
- 5 GPA or higher
- Complete resume that shows how your business experience relates to the MBA
- Strong statement of purpose that shows your career goals and direction
- At least two professional or educational references
Most professionals who earn their MBA in this speciality have a strong background in consumer behavior, marketing, market research, sales, communication methods, visual arts, and art history.
Professionals who want to be upper level managers in social media marketing after they earn their master’s should have a background in business law, economics, finance, computer science, mathematics, statistics and management.
Types of Courses to Expect
One excellent MBA program that you should consider in social media and digital marketing is the Mini-MBA that is offered by Rutgers University. According to the university website, the rapidly changing technologies we see today are changing how we do business so that we need to change the entire marketing paradigm.
We are dealing with highly empowered and informed consumers to expanding media networks and media channels. Firms need to reexamine their old business models and look for ways to leverage social media and digital media to stay ahead of all competition.
This is a 10 course Mini MBA that is taught online by Rutger’s highly respected MBA faculty. It uses case studies, immersive and interactive sessions and online class exercises to learn about the best and most modern digital marketing and social media practices. There also is a Capstone project that you will complete in conjunction with your mentor.
Most students may complete this entire program in 40 to 50 hours. The program allows you to learn and evaluate all of the latest digital marketing and social media strategies so that you have an excellent grasp of all of the vital tools of digital marketing management.
Key topics in this program include:
- How to analyze social media marketing business opportunities
- How to explore the psychological and behavioral factors that are so important to social media sales
- Understand how to develop and optimize a social media network for a company
- Design more effective social media strategies for communication
- Come up with new measurement strategies to measure and track social media ROI
- Discover new technologies in social media and learn how and when to employ them
- Social platforms that are explored from a critical business perspective are Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Linkedin, Instagram, Pinterest and Foursquare
Career Path and Salary
When you earn your MBA in social media marketing, you will most likely be hired as some type of advertising or promotions manager in an online or digital capacity. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the field is going to grow by 5% by 2024, which is about average when compared to other occupations.
Overall the demand for professionals in these roles for print and television media is on the wane. However, there is a stronger demand for marketing managers and professionals in digital media, including social media. We expect that the demand in the social media space for professionals with MBAs will be stronger than 5% in the coming years.
Pay for advertising, marketing and promotional managers overall is a solid $95,800 per year, with the top 10% earning more than $187,000 per year.